Call for Abstracts
The first Asian Wetland Symposium (AWS) was held 25 years ago. Since then the situation of wetlands in Asia has been significantly changed. The number of the Contracting Parties to the Ramsar Convention and Ramsar Sites in Asia increased dramatically which strengthened conservation and wise use of wetlands in the region. On the other hand, degradation and loss of wetlands and biodiversity were caused by rapid economic growth, unsustainable development, climate change, and new issues which we did not face 25 years ago.
Therefore, organizers encourage you to review achievements, practices, progress, and challenges related to wetlands conservation in Asia in the past quarter century, to feature and highlight the current situation, and to provide recommendations looking for the next quarter century and beyond in order to mainstream conservation and wise use of wetlands.
The AWS Saga 2017 Executive Committee welcomes your abstracts for presentations. The Call for Abstracts is now closed.
The Committee considers providing a financial support for speakers from developing countries. Preference will also be given to persons who are young. To be eligible, you must submit an abstract for oral or poster presentations. We might be able to support a part of their travel expenses due to the limited fund. The application form will be available soon.
Types of Presentations
Authors will have opportunities to present their works and activities in the sessions and they will have 20-minute time slots including Q and A. The sessions will be scheduled on 8 and 10 November.
Posters will be displayed on panels for individual discussion with poster authors.
Several authors with a same topic gather as a small group. A short presentation using poster will be made by each author followed by a discussion with interested participants. A facilitator will be provided for the discussion of each group. The discussion will be more informal and closer to the audience and it will enable participants to have practical and friendly discussion. Additionally, presenters can make presentations with the products from wetlands physically.
This symposium focuses on the following topics:
- Wetlands and Disaster Risk Reduction / Climate Change
- Wetlands and Use of Natural Resources / Agriculture / Fisheries / Food Security
- Wetlands and Biodiversity / Restoration / Reintroduction
- Urban Wetlands / Wetland City / Natural Infrastructure
- Wetlands and CEPA (Communication, Capacity building, Education, Participation and Awareness) / ESD (Education for Sustainable Development)
- Wetlands and Youth
- Transboundary Wetlands / International Cooperation and Partnership
- Wetlands and Business / Corporate Sectors
- Wetlands and Sustainable Tourism
- Wetlands and Culture
- Wetlands and Changes / Monitoring
Step 1: Submission
- Abstracts must be written in English.
- Abstracts must be submitted through the online form.
- Abstracts must be between 500 to 600 words.
- Authors need to select one of the proposed topics and a type of presentation.
- Deadline for submission is 19 June 2017. *Extended until 26 June 2017
Step2: Evaluation and notification
- Secretariat will organize abstracts by types of presentation for review by members of International Steering Committee (ISC).
- Members of ISC and secretariat will discuss the acceptance or rejection of abstracts in July.
- Some authors will be asked to change the type of their presentation from oral to poster / poster discussion depending on the capacity of sessions.
- Executive Committee will decide the results and secretariat will notify the results to authors by 31 July 2017.
Step3: Registration and submission
- Presenters will be required to register for the symposium by 31 August 2017.
- Presenters will be requested to submit the final version of abstracts by 31 August 2017.
- Oral presenters will be requested to submit their presentation data by 20 October 2017.
17 April 2017: Abstract submission period opens
19 June 2017: Proposal submission period closes *Extended until 26 June 2017
31 July 2017: Notification of the results
31 August 2017: Deadline for presenter registration
31 August 2017: Deadline for submission of final version of abstracts
20 October 2017: Deadline for submission of oral presentation data