Asian Wetland Symposium (AWS) is a ‘regional forum for all’ that provides opportunities to diverse target groups, such as policymakers, managers, NGOs, donors, promoters, academicians, researchers, practitioners and students, to share and learn mutual knowledge, wisdom and practical experience on conservation, sustainable management and wise use of wetlands in Asia.
Following the first AWS that was held in Otsu and Kushiro, Japan in October 1992, the symposium has been held in Malaysia, India, Vietnam, China, and Cambodia, and this AWS Saga 2017 is the 8th meeting of the symposium. As the year 2017 marks the 25th anniversary of the first AWS, it is a good opportunity to review the record of conservation and wise use of wetlands in Asia for the past quarter century. This will lead to the discussion of how we should achieve the sustainable management of the indispensable wetland ecosystems in the coming quarter century and beyond.
The 6th meeting of Wetland Link International Asia will be jointly held with AWS on 11 November 2017.
Date and Venue
7 to 11 November, 2017
Saga City, Japan
Review achievements, practices, progress, and challenges faced related to conservation of wetlands in Asia in the past quarter century. We will also consider what should be done, looking towards the next quarter century and beyond, to mainstream conservation and wise use of wetlands. This will greatly contribute to meeting the Ramsar Strategic Plan 2016 – 2024, the Aichi Biodiversity Targets and the Sustainable Develop-ment Goals (SDGs).
- Share skills, traditional knowledge, techniques and methods, good practices and examples of failures of conservation and wise use of wetlands in Asia
- Compile strategies and activities for realizing wise use of Ramsar Sites and other wetlands
- Expand networks among site managers, wetland centers and stakeholders in Asia
- Enhance international cooperation and partnership on wetland conservation in the region
- Contribute to Ramsar COP13, particularly to support the implementation of the Ramsar Strategic Plan 2016 – 2024 and CEPA Programme 2016 – 2024, through reporting good practices of wise use of wetlands in Asia
- Enhance involvement of the next generation in conservation and wise use of wetlands
- Bring together WLI Asia members to promote wetland centers and share good practice